Fifteen employers from across the U.S. have been named recipients of the 2012 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award by the Defense Department's Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve program. Only 160 employers have received "the nation's highest honor for employer support" since its inception in 1996.
This year's list was chosen from more than 3,200 nominations. Those named:
* Basin Electric Power Cooperative, Bismarck, N.D.
* Caterpillar Inc., Peoria, Ill.
* Citi, New York City
* Crystal Springs United Methodist Church, Crystal Springs, Miss.
* Delta Air Lines, Atlanta
* Gary Jet Center, Gary, Ind.
* iostudio, Nashville
* Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, Kalamazoo, Mich.
* L-3 Communications, New York City
* Nyemaster Goode, P.C., Des Moines, Iowa
* Port of Seattle, Seattle
* Siemens Corp., Washington, D.C.
* Tennessee Valley Authority, Knoxville, Tenn.
* Uniform Color Co., Holland, Mich.
* Verizon Wireless, Basking Ridge, N.J.