NATO forces examine the remains of a car after a suicide car bomb attack on the Jalalabad-Kabul road in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Dec. 27. (Rahmat Gul/AP)
- Filed Under
Afghan police and NATO forces respond to a suicide car bomb attack on the Jalalabad-Kabul road in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Dec. 27. (Rahmat Gul/AP)
KABUL, AFGHANISTAN — A suicide car bomber attacked a convoy of international troops in an eastern district of the Afghan capital on Friday, killing three service members and wounding six Afghans, officials said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the insurgent group was behind the attack. Television images showed remains of the exploded car littering the street, and several armored vehicles stopped nearby.
The bomber struck the convoy about a half mile from NATOís Camp Phoenix base, Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanakzai, who reported the Afghan injuries.
Two of the three troops killed were from Slovakia, according to Agence France-Presse.
The International Security Assistance Force didnít provide details on the identities or nationalities of the three service members killed.
Twelve coalition troops have died in Afghanistan so far this month, including six U.S. soldiers who died in a helicopter crash Dec. 17.
So far this year 151 coalition troops have been killed in Afghanistan, according to a tally kept by The Associated Press.