Editor’s note: This story was updated at 6 p.m. on May 25 to include information from Brooke Army Medical Center about the victims.

Two victims in Tuesday’s shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, are being treated at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, a defense official said.

Both patients are adults, and both are in serious condition, said Robert Whetstone, a spokesman for Brooke Army Medical Center.

“This is a reminder of the extraordinary care the military health system can provide when called upon,” said Seileen Mullen, acting assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, at a congressional hearing about the military health system.

“Our hearts go out to the victims and their families,” Mullen added.

Brooke Army Medical Center is in San Antonio, which is about 85 miles from Uvalde, where the shooting took place.

On Tuesday, an 18-year-old gunman barricaded himself inside a classroom at Robb Elementary School, and killed at least 19 children and two teachers.

Further information about the patients at Brooke AMC was unavailable.

“We appreciate the work you’re doing at Brooke in Texas to help us with a tragedy of tremendous proportion, watching innocent children being gunned down with assault weapons. Congress needs to act to do something on that,” said Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, chairwoman of the defense subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee.

“Thank you for taking care of them,” McCollum added. “We know that they are in good hands.”

Karen has covered military families, quality of life and consumer issues for Military Times for more than 30 years, and is co-author of a chapter on media coverage of military families in the book "A Battle Plan for Supporting Military Families." She previously worked for newspapers in Guam, Norfolk, Jacksonville, Fla., and Athens, Ga.

Share:
More In Your Marine Corps
Most land mine use banned by US military, except in Korea
The announcement reverses a more permissive stance by then-President Donald Trump, and it concludes a review that has lasted for more than a year. Bonnie Jenkins, the State Department’s undersecretary for arms control and international security, said the new policy fulfills “a commitment that President Biden made as a candidate,” when he described Trump’s decision as “reckless.”
In Other News
Load More