Each year, September is a special month for IHG® Army Hotels. It’s our Giving for Good Month, which is dedicated to spreading the word that everyone has a part to play in helping our communities. Any act of service, no matter how small, can make a big difference. That mindset is at the heart of IHG’s promise of providing True Hospitality for Good through acts of service all year long. Here are few highlights of our Giving for Good Month service projects:
- The IHG Army Hotels Atlanta team packaged meals to benefit Second Helpings, a nonprofit that reduces hunger and food waste in Metro Atlanta area by distributing healthy surplus food to people in need. Our team packaged 1,000 meal boxes— a total of 4,000 meals— in under 3 hours.
- The team also raised funds and participated in Tunnel to Towers 5K Run & Walk in New York City. And, thanks to all of our hotel teams, this year IHG Army Hotels has raised over $101,000 for this organization.
- Holiday Inn Express® on Hunter Army Airfield assembled 75 hygiene bags to be donated to a homeless shelter in Savannah, GA.
Our service projects extend well beyond Giving for Good Month. Our colleagues have been busy helping their local posts and communities across the country this year:
- Participating hotels in IHG Army Hotels Teen Academy involve their summer interns in various service projects to benefit their local communities, including selling hot dogs to raise funds for Tunnel to Towers and serving popsicles at a local elementary school.
- Hotel teams continue to support their local Fisher Houses in many ways, through fundraising and by lending the use of their shuttles and laundry facilities.
- For the last 10 months, JBSA colleagues participated in Vogel Resiliency Food Distribution events and has impacted over 1,300 families.
- Colleagues at White Sands Missile Range donated school supplies to hand out at the post’s annual back to school fair.
- Last winter, colleagues at Fort Bragg tied 75 scarves on poles along both sides of one of the major downtown streets near the Salvation Army for anyone in need, as part of their socks and scarves donation drive.
- Atlanta-based team members cleaned up the grounds at Covenant House Atlanta. During the month of December each year, the team also volunteers at the Empty Stocking Fund toy distribution event.
- In partnership with Operation Gratitude, colleagues on Fort Knox handed out boxes of goodies to veterans at their hotels during veteran appreciation day events on post.
- During the annual IHG Army Hotels General Managers conference in October, approximately 65 general and hotel managers along with corporate colleagues participated in two assembly events. Teams put together 500 food kits to benefit Blessings in a Backpack, a nationwide organization that mobilizes communities, individuals, and resources to provide food on the weekends for school-aged children across America who might otherwise go hungry. The teams also assembled 100 hygiene kits to hand out to homeless and at-risk youth in Atlanta through Covenant House, which provides shelter, food, immediate crisis care, and other services to homeless and runaway youth.
We’re so proud of what our team members with IHG Army Hotels have been able to accomplish through their volunteer efforts this year. Since IHG’s first Giving for Good Month in 2018, our team members have taken part in nearly 350,000 acts of kindness in communities around the world. It’s part of IHG’s Journey to Tomorrow goal of improving the lives of 30 million people in 10 years.
Lendlease is the owner, design-builder, asset manager, and the exclusive developer for the Privatization of Army Lodging (PAL) portfolio, the Department of Defense’s only lodging privatization program. IHG Hotels & Resorts is the hotel operator and manager of IHG Army Hotels.